Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gravy School Dropout

So I get back on the phone with Deedar because I had it in my head to make country fried steak with white gravy last night. However, I ended up staying late at work, had a small lunch, and was famished by the time I got back, so that idea flew out the window. I thought I'd save it for another day. But I was going to go ahead and practice with the gravy since my previous gravy didn't turn out so great.

Deedar starts telling me to leave some oil in the pan from the steak, but like I said I didn't do that, so I just got out the ol' grease tin and spooned out some bacon grease. I think it was about two tablespoons worth. Then she says to add the milk. No quantity, just "the milk." I really truly admire those that can just whip something up with no recipe and it come out tasting fantastic, but I'm not one of those people yet. Anyway, I just throw some milk in there and start stirring. I'm always afraid of scalding milk, so as soon as I see a tiny bubble, I throw "some flour" in the mix and keep stirring. She tells me to try it, and try it I did. It tasted like paste. So I add some more milk and keep stirring. Now, it tastes like oil. Milk equals oil now? Geez.

I ended up throwing the "gravy" away because it was just awful! I didn't have the heart to call Deedar back up and say I failed the gravy lesson since she's already sounded exasperated that I had to call a second time. She's also threatening to school me in the ways of southern cooking. Although, let's face it. I could use it right about now. I can't even make a simple gravy. *shame*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I would like you to master the art of gravy making, its probably better for me that you haven't.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm . . . Gravy School Dropout. Can that be sung to the tune of "Beauty School Dropout" from Grease? Foodie and I will twirl around you whilst singing it.

This is going from bad to worse. I'm picturing you at a restaurant cuddling a plate of country fried steak and perfect gravy singing "You're the One That I Want" to the dish.

I must be hungry (as always) . . . and in the mood for musicals (as always) . . . simultaneously. What else is new?

-Victoria