Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My 25th Birthday Party

Every year for my birthday, I spend it with my mom and dad at home. Mom asks what I'd like for my birthday meal, then all day at random times I ask what was happening X amount of years ago, and then I get the story of how I was brought into this world. It involves Dad going over 100 mph, Mom going down a drug-induced "rainbow-colored slide," and Dad being half-naked in the waiting room. The story never gets old because it's so funny.

Also, there's a theme every year that used to be left up to me. I've come up with Rescue Rangers, Snoopy, 1950s, Catwoman, etc. For the past few years, Mom has done all the planning and surprises me with a well-thought-out theme. Two years ago it was Pirates of the Caribbean complete with treasure chest cake. Last year it was the 24th Annual Bessie Awards that was basically Hollywood-esque with my name in lights and a cake that was like my star on Hollywood Boulevard, including me getting to put my handprints in the cake. This year, it was my favorite Disney movie, Robin Hood.

Wanted posters were all over the house.

On the morning of my party, Mom came into my room reading a proclamation on parchment announcing that the "fair maiden Bess" was to celebrate her 25th birthday. This proclamation was also featured on the front door attached to the wall with an arrow. Next to that was another "tree" with Prince John looking sneaky.

"Prince John" with his crown as well as money bag party favors.

Mom bought a little cat purse to go with the table centerpiece that could have gone for Prince John, but the real reason was because it looks like my cat, Butters, which happens to be her favorite. Can't wait to see if she shows favoritism to real children one day.

Robin Hood in the trees in Sherwood Forest and Sir Hiss in his balloon at the archery tournament.

Edited to add: It's been requested that I tell why my dad was half-naked in the waiting room. I was born several weeks premature so when my mom went into labor, she thought it was just false labor "because the book said so." So Mom and Dad weren't in go mode. Hence the 100+ mph car ride. Anyway, they rush into the hospital and whisk Mom away so she could go do her thing. Dad had to change and went behind a screen that was nearby. Well, in the middle of changing, his screen starts moving. As in being carried away by a couple of guys. Finally, he gets to Mom and gets to hear her scream away, which she doesn't remember. Only the rainbow slide. After I was born, I had to be transferred to another hospital because I was so frail. Dad was a trucker, so he had to make a run that evening right after I was born. He drove from Louisiana to Tennessee without stops and had guys basically throwing stuff to go quicker so he could get back to check on me. Turns out when a 6'7" guy tells you to hurry up so he can get back to his baby girl, you listen.

4 comments:

AstroGailis said...

Holy cow, that's amazing!! Your mom is so creative :).

So when are you going to post the dad-naked-in-the-waiting-room story? 'Cause it's just mean if you don't...

Sharon said...

Soooo cute! Sir Hiss is my favorite!

Andrea said...

That's the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life!

Anonymous said...

me = jealous. your bday theme is teh awesome. this has inspired me for my sweet 33rd: fox and hound.