Monday, July 21, 2008

Project: T-Shirt Recon 2

Over my birthday weekend, Mom gave me a sewing machine she had acquired that was different than the little Singer I normally use. This new one could zigzag! I have a lot of projects I need to finish, so I needed to test out the machine to make sure I didn't ruin the future projects.

I dug out my trash bag of clothes going to Goodwill and found 2 shirts. One was a Pirates of the Caribbean shirt Mom had saved cheese UPCs in order to score a free shirt. I love Pirates, but I already had an umpteen amount of T-shirts in my closet.


I also had a rugby shirt I got on sale at Goody's a few years ago. I like rugby shirts, but orange is not my best color and horizontal stripes are not my friend. The colors complement one another and stripes are very piratey.


I cut off the sleeves of the rugby shirt (thinking I might use the body of it for something else later on) and the Pirates shirt making the Pirate sleeves more like cap sleeves. I also cut off the neckline to make it scoopier and the bottom hem of the T-shirt. Next, I cut one sleeve into strips and sewed them together. Finally, I sewed the sleeve around the bottom of the Pirates shirt to tie in a knot on the side like a sash.


I'm really happy with how the shirt turned out. I think I need to add a dart to the underarms because since the T-shirt is big, the sleeve holes were big and is trying to look like a muscle tee. I think I may also alter the shoulders by cutting out the seam and using leftover rugby sleeve to make criss-crosses up the shoulder like a shoelace to eliminate that linebacker shoulder effect. I already have manish shoulders and don't need any more bulk. Thanks for the shoulders, Dad.

No comments: