Friday, February 8, 2008

Cookie Therapy

After pouring my heart over the fumbled gumbo recipe, I decided it was time to do what I know I can do well: bake. Plus I also needed to bake some cookies as a thank you to my mechanic for taking care of me and my car the week before. If snickerdoodles can't say thank you well enough, I don't know what can.


My Giraffe believes in this phenomenon called "cookie therapy." He says that no matter how bad a day you've had, all you need is a cookie and everything seems brighter because you take a bite of the cookie, think about the bite and savor it, then repeat the process. Bam! All your problems are gone. At first glance, this seems like the perfect thing for the both of us. I love to bake, he loves to eat. Match made in Heaven! Oh no, my boy doesn't do chocolate. I can hear the gasps from here.


His argument? "Chocolate is supposed to taste bitter." My rebuttal: "They add sugar for a reason!" Him: "I still don't like it." Add this to the short list of things he won't eat which include coffee and catfish, although I think he's coming around to that idea again. He had a bad experience with a Shoney's involving food poisoning that laid him out for days. We're talking near death here, the way he tells it. I promised I'd fry it up and make sure it was completely done before feeding it to him. So I guess I feel comfortable doing fish and baking. Just not together. Ew. Oh! Can you imagine Trout Tartlets? Or Catfish Crepes?!


So I've been on this mission to find a cookie that this boy will eat other than oatmeal raisin because those, to me, are boring. Kind of like bran cereal. Immediately crossing chocolate off the list, I first think sugar cookies. This is about as plain as you can get!
Me: "Hey! What about sugar cookies? You like those, right?
Him: "No. Too much sugar."

Sigh. So I start thumbing through my cookie cookbook and make some lemon cookies because those are one of my favorites and something I think he would like.

Me: "Oh sweetheart? I made some lemon cookies! What do you think?"
Him: (Takes a bite, grimaces, and mumbles through cookie crumbs) "Too much powdered sugar."

GRR. Turns out he's got this aversion to powdered sugar ever since a funnel cake disaster due to his cousin. Why must I suffer for his cousin's culinary shortcomings?! Now it's Christmastime and I make the most appropriate cookie: gingerbread. Who can resist the urge to bite off little gingerbread men's heads?

He can.

So when he put in a request for me to make cookies recently, I sat in mild shock. How can I fix you cookies when you don't eat any?! I bust out my cookbook again for inspiration and then the answer appears in front of me. I can't believe I didn't think of this before! Snickerdoodles! I love snickerdoodles! And if he hates him, I'm really going to have to evaluate our 2+ year relationship.


Well, I'm happy to say that we're still together because he popped a cookie in his mouth and said, "These cookies are really good," which coming from is a big deal since hardly anything is "really good," "great," or "awesome" when it comes to my making food. It's usually "it's alright," which really means, "please don't give me any more because I'll be forced to eat it." I do get the occasional "good" so I guess there's hope. It's a learning process, right?

Hey Love o' Mine? Be ready to eat snickerdoodles every week for the rest of your life because now that I found something you like to eat, I'm never letting go.

No comments: