Friday, February 22, 2008

Project: T-Shirt Construction

When I first moved, I was needing things to keep me occupied until I got a job. That took 3 months and one extraordinarily bad job at Godiva (manager issues. SERIOUS manager issues.) before I landed my current job. Well, sorta, but that's another story, too. Anyway, I found a fun craft book called Generation T on sale at Borders and decided this would be the perfect way to fill my time.


I flipped through all 272 pages of ways to manipulate T-shirts into other shirts, iPod covers, tote bags, etc. and came to the dilemma of picking just one to test. Luckily, in my boredom the weeks prior, I went through all my clothes and bagged some for Goodwill because moving them had been not fun and I was already filling up my walk-in closet. Sad, I know. And with T-shirts! It's not even like it was all this designer wear or cocktail dresses or overcoats. Not that I am even into designer clothes, have a reason for a cocktail dress, or need for a beautiful overcoat. Anyway, needless to say, I had plenty of T-shirts just aching to be revamped.
Since I had lost approximately 20 pounds a few months prior to the move due to a wonderful last spring break hurrah to Hawaii, I had all these baggy shirts that I still liked, but made me look like a frump. For example, my dad travels a lot for his job and I asked that he bring me cool shirts and postcards if he saw some that reminded him of me. One of these gifts was my Vermont shirt. It's simple, which is part of its appeal, but also because it was from my dad. So I decide on the pattern above and bust out the scissors. I'm a nervous wreck cutting this thing up because there's no turning back. If it ends up looking horrible, I'm going to have to live with it or figure out a way to fix it. That should be the follow-up book to this one. "How To Repair the Projects You Started...Moron."

It turned out good in the front, but I cut the scoop too deep and wide, so that's why it bunches at the bottom. Because it's too deep, I can't wear a bra without looking stupid, and for the greater good of the world, I will refrain from going out sans brassiere. I've been thinking about how to fix it, and I think I finally came up with a solution. It's not what I'd like to do, but I want to wear the shirt I made, dangit! I think I'm going to cut the back up the middle and draw it in a little bit and then make a seam to close it up. That way, the bunch will be gone and I can maybe raise the scoop so I can wear it out to show off my craftiness. Then everyone will think that's just how it's supposed to look. Except for anybody that sees me that reads this. Oops.


Vermont love!

2 comments:

AstroGailis said...

I think it looks cute! (See, I do read your blog ;).) And I totally agree with the "How To Fix Your DIY Mistakes, Moron" idea. How about, "How to Finish Projects You Started 7 Years Ago"? Or even better, "How to Make Cool Crafty Things in Your Sleep"!

Anonymous said...

I concur.

I also believe the world would survive the trauma of you sans bra. (tee hee) Or maybe you could wear a tank top or tube top under it.

-Victoria