Thursday, April 10, 2008

Funky Chicken, Revisited

I decided after yesterday's rant, I would give the chicken another try. Start off slow by cooking the chicken in something per Victoria's suggestion to ease myself back into the poultry world. So I went to Campbell's website and poked around because I had heard they had easy, quick recipes involving, big surprise, their soups. I stumbled upon this one and thought it'd be the perfect stepping stone. I mean, it's pasta! It's kinda hard to screw up pasta. Oh wait.

The ingredients were simple: Cream of Mushroom soup, pasta, parmesan, milk, pepper, butter, and chicken. I substituted margarine because it was what I had out in the butter dish all cut up, but it didn't make a difference. The only glitch was I used the whole box of pasta thinking it'd be plenty for leftovers, but it only made the sauce not go as far. So next time, I'll either cut back on the pasta or increase the sauce. Crazy how those directions work.

I was concerned about how the Cream of Mushroom soup would taste as alfredo sauce, but it was actually great. I think I'll add more cheese and maybe more milk to the mixture as well as maybe some Italian spices. Overall, the dinner was a success. Not to mention, I have enough leftovers for 2 meals. Hooray!

However, there was one thing about the meal that made me sad. I guess I should have taken a picture of it, but I couldn't bring myself to. My grandparents, to whom my lovely cast iron skillet belonged, are spinning round and round in their graves. I let pasta touch the pan. And alfredo sauce. What kind of Southern girl am I? But! On the bright side, the pasta was probably given a hint of bacon flavor due to the seasoning of the skillet. As long as bacon's involved, I'm saved, right?

No comments: